The Web Designer Blueprint is a three-month long online course that includes everything you need to get started in Web Design: structured lessons, useful exercises, master classes with industry experts, killer cheatsheets and sample files, and instructors there to help guide you every step of the way! Your Blueprint is structured around three core classes:
Do you crave a more creative, fulfilling, and lucrative career? Are you tired of being held back by what you did or DIDN’T learn in school? Do you feel frustrated by the money you are leaving on the table by focusing on print design and not designing for the Web? Are you sick and tired of relying on developers to make your designs come alive?
You CAN learn the digital skills you need to transform your career and life. You just need to get started, the RIGHT way, with the Skillcrush Web Designer Blueprint. It’s everything you need to rock this Web thing!
Enrollment is currently closed. Sign up to find out when it opens!
What Web Designers Do:
Web designers are artisans and true digital creatives.
Steve Jobs famously said, “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” The best web designers know that good web design is nearly invisible but utterly delightful. Their job is to make the websites and mobile applications they work on such a pleasure to use that you find yourself addicted, to make the buttons on screen look so delicious, you’ll want to lick them.
If you love art, beauty, people, fashion, and thinking about how someone lives, day-in-day-out, with one of your creations, then you will excel at web design.
Come design our collective digital future!
- Title: Partner & Designer
- Company: Funsize
- Where: Austin, TX
- What I Do: I’m a self-taught designer and I run a local mobile product design studio with my husband. (Yes, I’m really around my husband 24/7. No, it’s not as crazy as it sounds!)
- Why I Love It: I’m attracted to design not just for the pretty colors but for everything that goes on behind the scenes. I am intrigued by the way design ties into the human psyche and how a product you design can completely change human behavior. Aside from wanting to make things look beautiful, design gets me really excited when I know that what I’m working on is a product I believe in and that it has the potential to improve peoples’ lives.
- How I Got Here: I started with an internship at a digital agency. I was learning so much at my internship that I eventually dropped out of college. I soon moved to New York City where I spent time in the ranks at well known agencies, and discovered my deep interest in mobile design. Anthony, my husband, and I were both working on mobile products separately and realized that we could do what we were doing separately, together, and do it smarter. It’d give us the ability to create a lifestyle balance that we’ve dreamed of without the constraints of being employed. That’s when Funsize emerged.
- Advice For Aspiring Designer / Developers: Many people often refer to their full-time jobs as “stable”, but how stable is it if you can’t control your own destiny? You can be fired at any given moment for no specific reason. Carve out your own destiny and create your own stability; don’t let others do it for you.
Your First Class
Ready to dip your toe into web design? Learn the basic principles of designing for the web, including how to create user personas, typography and visual hierarchy. Whether you are an experienced designer or have no experience in design, if you use the web, this class will be relevant and fun for you!
YOU WILL LEARN: WireframesSitemapsUI / UXPhotoshop
Your Second Class
Don’t know the first thing about technology? Then this class is for you. HTML and CSS are the building blocks of the web. Learn how to structure, design and launch your own website in class. Don’t worry about getting stuck – We’re here to answer any questions you have along the way!
YOU WILL LEARN: HTMLCSSFTPDomainsHosting
Your Third Class
Weekly Live Chats
15 Awesome Cheatsheets
Exclusive Job Postings
TOP SECRET Bonuses (don't miss out!)
jQuery Plugins Package
A Professional-Looking Portfolio
Personal Letter of Recommendation
Certificate of Completion
I work full time, can I fit this class into my busy schedule?
Absolutely! We recommend setting aside about an hour a day to engage with the course materials and your classmates and instructors, but you can shift this around depending on your weekly schedule. Many of our students find they can’t devote an hour a day but can do larger chunks of time over the weekend – this is totally fine! Our material is always available for you when you need it.
I’m behind in the class…will the material still be accessible to me?
Yes absolutely! We won’t revoke your permissions on skillcrush.com – you’ll have access well beyond the class to learn if you are behind or to revisit for review down the road.
I am looking to transition into a more technical role at work. Will this blueprint help me?
What previous knowledge to I need to have to take this class?
None! As long as you are familiar with your computer and how to use it and are comfortable on the web, we’ll teach you the rest.
What are the system requirements for this class?
Nothing fancy! You just need a computer with access to the web of course. Your system should be able to stream Youtube or Vimeo and download and upload class materials. We do recommend Macs for the class and for your future web development projects as they tend to be the industry standard.
Do you provide any printable materials I can access?
Yes indeed! We have several very popular cheatsheets that we tell our students to print and carry with them or tape up around the house. You’d be surprised how much you can actually learn in minutes!
How do I know if this class is for me?
This class is for you if:
- You want to get started in tech, but don’t know how to begin.
- You are itching to code.
- You have dabbled in HTML & CSS, but need to learn the fundamentals.
- You have been meaning to make your own website FOREVER.
- You like learning to be fun & collaborative.
This class is NOT for you if:
- You have already designed & coded your own websites from scratch.
- You are looking to learn advanced topics such as back-end programming.
- You want to make mobile apps.
- You think learning has to be serious.
- You don’t like fun or collaboration.
When does the class meet?
The class does not meet during fixed times. We send you an email every morning around 7am with what you’ll need to do for that day. After that, you can pick whatever time works for you! We do host a weekly block of office hours – you can sign up for one 20 minute slot to discuss your project or issues with your instructors. The office hours are the only scheduled time you would need to adhere to and we offer times that work around the schedules of our students.
How does the class group/forum work?
We are using a new service called Mightybell for our class groups and forum. It’s free to use. We’ll send you an invitation for your class and get you all set up! Students can chat and message each other, post documents and other materials & help answer each others’ questions! We want you to leave our class with access to a community of peers that you can turn to well after your session has ended.
Is Skillcrush only for women? I’m a guy and want to learn.
We can’t wait for you to join! We welcome men as well! In fact, about 25% of our students tend to be men. Skillcrush is a supportive community of folks from all industries, countries and yes… genders :). We can’t wait to see you in our next class. Bring a friend!
How do office hours work?
We conduct one-on-one 15 minute office hour slots using Google Hangout. Google Hangout is easy to use but we recommend you try it once before so that you can work out any issues you encounter. We release the office hours schedule prior to each week and then you can go in and sign up for your 15 minute slot. That’s it! Then we meet during our scheduled time and work on whatever you’d like.
We have typically found that the majority of our students can make early evening office hours later in the week, so that is when we tend to offer them. If you absolutely cannot make that time, we would be happy to work with you to find another time slot.
Our Blueprints come out to around $4 a day. Less than HALF the price of comparable programs – and 100% more fun, we promise! You can make 3 monthly payments of $149 or a full payment of $399, whatever fits your life and budget.